Want to know how to build a treadmill desk? In today’s fast-paced world, finding time to exercise can be a challenge. For those of us who spend large parts of our day at a desk, this can be especially true. Wouldn’t it be great if we could combine work and exercise in a seamless manner? Enter the treadmill desk.
This innovative solution allows you to walk or jog while you work, offering an optimal way to integrate physical activity into your daily routine. In this DIY guide for how to build a treadmill desk, we’ll walk you through five straightforward steps to build your own treadmill desk, making your multitasking healthier and more productive. Let’s get started!
How to Build a Treadmill Desk Quick Guide
Don’t know how to build a treadmill desk? Building a treadmill desk is an innovative way to stay active while working. Here’s a simple guide to help you assemble one and get your very own treadmill desk. For more details continue reading below.
- Gather all the necessary materials
- Position your desk over the treadmill
- Sand your desktop board
- Apply paint of your choice
- Secure your desk to the treadmill using screws and brackets
How to Build a Treadmill Desk DIY Guide
By following the steps below you can have a productive workday while maintaining your physical health. Check out exactly what you need to do to learn how to build a treadmill desk.
Step 1: Gather all the necessary materials
- Wooden board: If your 2-in-1 folding treadmill has the same width as a wooden board, consider using pine or plywood. The board doesn’t need to be thick, but it should be sturdy enough to support your computer and provide occasional support when leaning on it. Ensure your computer fits comfortably in the holder without occupying excessive space on your foldable walking pad. A popular choice is a pine board measuring 92 cm x 30 cm x 1.5 cm.
- screws: To ensure a secure fit, it is important to eliminate any gaps between the screws and the wooden strip. Typically, the gap should be around 2 cm. However, it is crucial to note that the width of the screws should not exceed the combined width of the strip and the board depth, which is approximately 3.5 cm (2 cm for the strip plus 1.5 cm for the board depth).
- Hooks: When it comes to the size of the hooks, it’s not a crucial factor. Nevertheless, ensure that the hole is sufficiently spacious to accommodate the bungee cord’s hook. Additionally, make sure the wooden board is thick enough to fit the screw portion of the eye hook.
- Additionally, you will need bungee cords and paint or varnish.
Step 2: Position your desk over the treadmill
To determine the custom size of your treadmill desk, start by measuring the handrails. Be sure to measure the width and depth accurately, as this will be the area where the desktop will be placed. In this example, the handrails measured 35 1/4″ wide by 13 1/4″ deep.
Next, you’ll need to measure and cut your plywood or project board to match the desired width and depth. This will serve as the desktop for your treadmill desk. If you don’t have the necessary tools, consider visiting your local home improvement store where they may be able to assist with cutting the plywood to your specifications. Remember to bring your measurements along when you go shopping.
Once you have the board ready, start by wrapping the grip liner sheet around the handlebars and securing it with foam rubber bands. Place a wooden bar or table on top of the modified handlebars. For a better grip, consider staining the wooden sheets and fastening them with the grip rubber.
This setup requires rubber bands, grippy liners, stain, wooden boards, and a foldable treadmill for running.
Step 3: Sand your desktop board
To prepare your desktop board, start by sanding it using 50 or 60 grit sandpaper for the initial pass. This will effectively remove any saw blade marks and level the surface.
Follow up with a second pass using 220 grit sandpaper to achieve a smooth and refined finish. Sanding your desktop board is crucial for achieving a polished and professional look.
Step 4: Apply paint of your choice
To the appearance of your desktop, apply your preferred paint, stain, or varnish. Allow the initial coat to dry before applying a second coat. Ensure that both coats are thoroughly dry before proceeding to the next step. This will ensure optimal results and a visually pleasing finish for your desktop.
Step 5: Secure your desk to the treadmill using screws and brackets
For a DIY treadmill desk, you will need screws, a drill, and bungee cords as fasteners. Attach the bungee cords to both sides of the board and place them on the treadmill handle. It’s crucial to ensure that the board remains stable and doesn’t shake during use.
Secure the newly created treadmill desk attachment to the handlebars of your treadmill. Use conduit straps to hook the bungee cords and keep the desktop in place. The featured bungee straps are equipped with a carabiner clip, providing added security for keeping the bungee cord in position.
Common Questions About How to Build a Treadmill Desk
Why should you learn how to build a treadmill desk?
If you’re looking for a way to stay in shape while working, a DIY treadmill desk could be an ideal solution. By combining exercise and work, building your own treadmill desk allows you to incorporate physical activity into your work routine.
In addition to helping you improve your fitness, a treadmill desk can also enhance your focus, productivity, and overall well-being. Discover the benefits of a DIY treadmill desk and start enjoying the advantages now:
- Boost Your Focus and Productivity: Increase your focus and productivity by incorporating treadmill walking into your work routine. Studies show that exercise enhances blood pressure and oxygen levels in the brain, leading to improved cognitive abilities and mental performance. Enhance your workday with this simple and effective technique!
- Boost your energy and motivation with a treadmill desk. Experience a change of scenery and stay active while working. Improve your productivity and well-being with this innovative workstation.
- One of the most effective methods to improve your health and manage weight is by using a treadmill desk. It helps increase daily calorie burn while you work, promoting better fitness and weight management. Discover the benefits of this innovative workstation for improved health and productivity.
- Enhance your mental health with a treadmill desk! In addition to the physical advantages, it provides a refreshing break from sitting and boosts your exposure to natural light. Say goodbye to stress and embrace a greater sense of well-being. Discover how a treadmill desk can improve your overall health and wellness today!
What to know before building a treadmill desk? (Tips)
- Choose the right machine: When setting up your own treadmill desk, the first crucial step is choosing the perfect treadmill that suits your needs and space. If you have limited space, consider opting for a walking pad treadmill, known for its compactness and convenience. These top-quality treadmills are designed for easy storage, making them an ideal choice for small spaces.
- Determine desk height: Determining the optimal desk height for comfortable walking is the next crucial step. Measure your treadmill’s height and adjust the desk accordingly, considering your own height and chair height. To stay active while working, try incorporating desk exercises into your routine.
- Add a treadmill mat: To protect your floor and minimize noise, it’s important to invest in a high-quality treadmill mat. By adding a treadmill mat underneath your treadmill, you can effectively reduce vibrations and create a stable surface for your treadmill desk. Not only does this prevent wear and tear on your treadmill, but it also safeguards your floor from potential damage.
Is it hard to build a treadmill desk?
When it comes to building your treadmill desk, there are a few different options you can consider. One option is to use an existing desk or table and attach it to the treadmill using brackets or L-brackets. This is a simple and cost-effective solution that allows for easy attachment and detachment as needed.
Another option is to build a custom desk using wood or other materials. This allows you to create a DIY walking desk that is tailored to your specific needs and preferences.
When building a custom desk, it’s important to take into account factors such as the height and width of the desk, as well as the materials and tools required for the project.
By carefully considering these factors, you can create a treadmill desk that is both functional and comfortable for your needs.
Is a treadmill laptop holder necessary?
To comfortably and safely use your laptop while walking on the treadmill, consider creating a DIY treadmill laptop holder. You have various options, including a platform or tray that attaches to the treadmill, a laptop stand, or a standing desk converter.
Video DIY Treadmill Desk for less than $10 | No Tools Required!
Watch this video and learn to create a budget-friendly Treadmill Desk under $10! Follow these easy instructions that won’t modify your treadmill. Discover the benefits of a Treadmill Desk and start your productive and active work routine today!
In conclusion, knowing how to build a treadmill desk is a practical and cost-effective way to integrate exercise into your workday. By following these straightforward and easy-to-follow steps, you can transform your workspace into a hub of productivity and physical activity.
Remember, the key to an effective treadmill desk is comfort and functionality, so take your time to adjust the height and workspace to your preference. Regardless of your craft skills, this project is accessible, rewarding, and a definitive step towards a healthier lifestyle. Happy building!